Thursday, August 20, 2015

What I Saw in the Secret Place.















I have seen the edge of your golden crown
Rich gold against the skin tones of your flesh,
      and from beneath that edge
      at your right temple
            a single rivulet of blood
            red against your skin
                        flowed copiously down,
      a reminder that beneath the golden crown
      you yet wear the crown of thorns for me,
            but not for me alone.
            I am one.
            I am one of many.

Our union,
      the communio peccatorum,
      common bond,
      reminds me
      You are one with us.
            Forgive us our trespasses.
            Mine alone.
            Mine as one of many.

Our union,
      the communio sanctorum,
      common destiny,
      uncommon aspiration.
      Make pure our hearts and wills.
      Your gift to humankind:
            We thirst and hear you say,
            “Come beloved of My Father.

I see transposed upon my hands, my feet, my side
Your gaping wounds.
      My brow is circled with your piercing thorns.
            Rivulets of blood flow copiously down.
Through me you suffer for your body,
the Church that you redeem.
      I am crucified with Christ.
      I am one of many.

Body of Christ
      inseparable from the Anointed
      even in His crucifixion.
            I am crucified with Christ,
            Nevertheless I live,
                  yet not I.
                  Christ lives in me,
                  yet not I alone.
                  I am one of many.

                                                      Dom Anselm+

No comments: