Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Life is a Journey

             

Sometimes the way before me seems daunting, perhaps even overwhelming.  I sense in myself that which would ward off the adventures that are offered to me; a temptation to succumb to fears and lethargy.  I recognize it for what it is and it slinks off to hide in a corner hoping that having seen it I will be satisfied with understanding it and not take action to counter it.  “Be gone adversary! (hypagay satana!)”. 

In a literal rendering of a Psalm I find that prayer is the only safe way to meet the challenges ahead of me, “But as for me, I am prayer” (Psalm 109:3).  Not merely praying, but at times of stress and great challenge to let prayer and the Presence of God so dominate my being that I can put my fears and lethargy aside.  To be prayer in this sense is to hide oneself at the very outset in the Presence of God.

Let me give you some basic principles for dealing with the problem.

O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.

O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.[i]

            To be hidden in the wounds of Christ is to live in His forgiveness.  The starting place in every spiritual adventure is the acknowledgement that we are fundamentally needy.  The Psalmist says, “I am a man who has no strength,”[ii] and, “I am shut in so that I cannot escape,”[iii] and again, “I am helpless.”[iv]  But more than that is the personal awareness that comes from contact with the Holy, “I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.”[v]  So very often our human experience teaches us that we need a hiding place; that is, if we are spiritually aware, and those who are aware know that they need a hiding place.  

             If there is anything that will hinder adventure it is the sense of our own inadequacy and sinfulness; for that reason “Within Thy wounds hide me, Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.” If we are to take the adventure before us it is necessary to be hidden in the wounds of Christ. “Intra tua vulnera absconde me. Ne permittas me separari a te.”

Let me share with you four axioms about the nature of love:

“Love cannot be lazy.”[vi]

            “Idleness is the enemy of the soul.”[vii]

            “We cannot live in love by being lazy.”[viii]

            “Love is meant to be lived to the full, not denied.”[ix]

            It is not enough just to consider the axioms about the nature of love and laziness.  There are times that what is needed is a decision, and an effort, to counter the inertia that would hinder us from taking the next step in our adventure, so let me add one further axiom about action:

            “Do two things every day that you don’t want to do, just for the exercise.”[x]

That is a small thing but it actually works.  Doing one thing isn’t quite enough to break the inertia. Doing three things might actually be a little too much challenge when we are stuck, but doing two things every day just for the exercise is something within our reach..

The prophet Jeremiah drew many of his insights from the world around him.  We read,

“The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD:  ‘Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will let you hear my words.’  So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was working at his wheel.[xi]

            Have you ever watched a potter at work?  Strong hands mold the clay as the wheel spins.  If the potter feels a lump in the clay that will spoil the pot, the potter will take a potter’s knife and scrape the clay off the wheel and move it to a side board where he pounds and beats the clay until the lump is worked out.  If the lump cannot be worked out with reasonable effort the potter throws it aside in a pile of clay to sit for a while before attempting to once more to pound the clay out.  Jeremiah observes:

And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do.[xii] 

            Often our lives are marred by our own willfulness and we need to be remade; that is the very essence of the work of redemption.  It is also the nature of human beings to resist being remade.  After all who enjoys a good pounding, lumps or not?  Here let me add a caution.  Even if we don’t care for the idea that God, as the Good Potter, will pound out our lumps, don’t worry, life will do it anyway.  That’s just the way things work.  The human tragedy is our propensity for stubbornness.  Some people never surrender to the pounding of either God or life; they are like clay that is ultimately thrown into the refuse pile, never to be picked up again.  The Lord, through the prophet Jeremiah, doesn’t want us to miss His challenge:

Then the word of the LORD came to me:  ‘O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done?’ declares the LORD.  ‘Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.’[xiii]

            You might find this all very alarming.  What helps me is knowing that He who offers to remake me, both created me and knows me thoroughly.  Again the Psalmist says,

O LORD, you have searched me and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.  You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.  Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.  You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.  [xiv]

An interesting example of God’s redeeming and transforming grace is in St. Paul’s letter to Philemon.  A slave named Onesimus has run away from his master Philemon who is a leader in the Church in Colossae.  Onesimus name means “useful”, but he was a useless and rebellious servant.  Onesimus ends up in Rome where Paul is living under house arrest.  Paul writes:

I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment.  (Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me.) [xv]

            Paul enjoys the occasional word play, he says, that formerly he was Achrestos (Useless) to you, but now he is indeed Onesimus (Useful) to you and to me.  The intent of Paul’s letter is not that Onesimus be returned to slavery, but that Philemon will both forgive him and free him.  The challenge for Onesimus is getting out the door and heading for Colossae to meet with Philemon.  Onesimus received God’s forgiveness first, and then the forgiveness of Philemon; but we should not underestimate the risk that was involved. 

We also see in Paul’s letter to Colossae that Onesimus is charged with sharing with Tychicus the responsibility of telling the Colossians about the activities of Paul, and he calls Onesimus, “our faithful and beloved brother.”[xvi]  His restoration places him in a new position with a new adventure, living as a free man and taking a responsible role in the life of the local congregation.  That took both courage and the grace of God.

What was necessary for Onesimus to take the adventure before him?  He had to face his inadequacies and sinfulness.  He had to hide himself in the wounds of Christ and live in forgiveness.  He had to do two things he didn’t want to do; he had to go out the door, and he had to go all the way to Colossae to meet with Philemon.


A Prayer of Self-Dedication

Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to thee, so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills, that we may be wholly thine, utterly dedicated unto thee; and then use us, we pray thee, as thou wilt, and always to thy glory and the welfare of thy people; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.




[i] The Anima Christi

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te.
In saecula saeculorum. Amen

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
In the hour of my death, call me.
And bid me come to Thee.
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee
Forever and ever. Amen

[ii] Psalm 88:4
[iii] Psalm 88:8
[iv] Psalm 88:15
[v] Psam 51:3
[vi] Jan van Ruysbroek
[vii] St. Augustine
[viii] St. Benedict
[ix] Dom Anselm
[x] Attributed to Abraham Lincoln
[xi] Jeremiah 18:1-3
[xii] Jeremiah 18:4
[xiii] Jeremiah 18:5,6
[xiv] Psalm 139:1-5
[xv] Philemon 1:10-11
[xvi] Colossians 4:7-9

No comments: